domingo, 6 de noviembre de 2011

Social Media for Social Change!

I have been so busy working with the LATISM'11 Conference team that I didn't make time to stop and think of the huge gap we are bridging. 

As I was reading this article in Extra Bilingual Newspaper - Empowering Latinos with the help of Social Media it all made sense "writing hand-written letters evolved into sending emails; speaking over the phone turned into texting and the use of social networks has increased" HA! Even the messenger pigeons have mutated into the Twitter birds! But I'm a strong believer that instead of talking about what we're craving for we should use these tools for a purpose that goes beyond the next lunch hour, to far more important issues. Better yet, to help awaken the new generation of mobile and digital media users. 

Why not bring the message from the ground to the online communities and vice-versa? Speaking of which... here is a picture of me in Chicago (2006) as I joined a march for immigrant rights! 


Fast forward to 2011, I'm practicing what I preach. I've contributed my passion for immigrant rights advocacy to LATISM'11 Conference by putting together a panel that will highlight the work of change agents.

If you're in Chicago this week, don't miss Using Social Media for Social Change
"Immigrants face many struggles in their search for the American dream. The Immigrant Youth Justice League, Dream Activists and the Immigrant Archive Project have mastered the use of social media tools to pursue social change, organize their communities, amplify their voices, and further their reach. Don’t miss this enlightening session as our panelists share their social media strategies and outcomes." 


Cheryl Aguilar, Tony Hernandez, Maria Marroquin and Reyna Wences, see you in Chicago!!!

Reina

[Cute badge that says "I'm going to LATISM'11" goes here... but it doesn't seem to work for me. So I'm going to Chicago to learn from expert bloggers and geeks and improve my tech skills!]

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario